Resource Guide for Relatives Caring For Children
Click Here To Read.


Call us to learn more information.
Are you a grandparent caring for your grandchild in Ohio, but you can't make vital decisions for your grandchild because you don't have legal custody? A new law may allow you to make these decisions without requiring a custody transfer through the court system.

If you are currently caring for one or more grandchildren because the child's parent cannot, your grandchild's parents can grant you Power of Attorney.

This will allow you to:

To obtain Power of Attorney for your grandchild, you must:

If you are currently caring for one or more grandchildren, and cannot locate the child's parent, you may obtain a Caretaker Authorization Affidavit.

This will allow you to:

To obtain a Caretaker Authorization Affidavit, you must:


Call us to learn more about Kinship Care
Kinship care is an alternate living arrangement for a child who cannot remain at home. The child may live with a relative through blood or marriage or with an unrelated person who has a close, supportive relationship with the child (kin).

Kinship care plays an important role in helping a child through a difficult time. To become an approved caregiver, the friend or relative must participate in a home study. Erie County Children Services will provide support to help the caregiver meet the needs of the child. We will also work to make the transition as smooth as possible. Financial assistance may be available through Kinship Permanency Incentive program. Application must be made and eligibility will be determined by this agency in accordance with state regulations and requirements.

Call us to learn more about Kinship Care
"New Kinship Ohio Website"
Many children are fortunate to be cared for by kinship caregivers when their own parents are unable or unavailable to care for them.
Click here to check out the new Kinship Ohio Website.

Click here to learn about Specialized Respite Care.

For more information about Kinship contact us at (419) 626-6781 or fill out the form on our contact page.